Many visitors are aware that New Bern has a long and special history dating back to its founding in 1710 and serving as the original capitol of North Carolina, but vacationing here is not limited to history alone:
A. Historical Attractions:
1. Tryon Palace and Gardens - step back in time to an authentic
restoration of the original Governor's residence. The
meticulously reconstructed gardens are lovely to stroll
through, as well as additional historic buildings and structures.
2. Fireman's Museum - See how New Bern protected it's
treasures from fire. Original hook and ladder engines and
many photographs chronicle this important community service.
3. New Bern Academy - Built between 1806 & 1810 as the
successor to the town's first academy, which was built on the
same site in 1766 and destroyed by fire during the 1790's. It
was in continous use until 1972. In 1764, the colonial
legislature ratied a bill authorizing the construction of a school
building here. This was the first in North Carolina
to be established by law.
B. Golfing in The Greater New Bern Area:
River Bend Country Club
Fairfield Harbor Golf Club
C. Beaches: Area Beaces are within a short ride
1. Fort Macon Park - located on the Atlantic Ocean at The
Beaufort Inlet, the park boasts beautiful ocean frontage,
jetty fishing and a restored Civil War earth walled fort.
2. Atlantic Beach - white sands, life guards and beach shops